[bit-er] Show IPA adjective, bit·ter·er,bit·ter·est, noun, verb, adverb
1. having a harsh, disagreeably acrid taste, like that of aspirin,quinine, wormwood, or aloes.
2. producing one of the four basic taste sensations; not sour,sweet, or salt.
3. hard to bear; grievous; distressful: a bitter sorrow.
4. causing pain; piercing; stinging: a bitter chill.
5. characterized by intense antagonism or hostility: bitter hatred.
Being bitter is an emotion that I feel is frequently overlooked, yet extremely corruptive. Here are some of my thoughts on Bitter
1. Bitter is caused when someone feels shamed or unfairly treated
2. Bitter is something we do to ourselves, NOT something someone does to us. AKA: we choose to react to the shaming/unfair treatment in way that leads to secrecy and therefore grows into bitter.
3. Bitter resolves into hatred
Overall, bitterness is not an effective or productive emotion and the issues causing bitterness should be examined and dealt with before it leads to shame and secrecy.